Introduction

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Mark Galvin 2 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

andy
    0p

Hi there,

My name if you havent guessed is Andy, I live in Burscough, Ormskirk and I have just bought my son a telescope for his 10th birthday. He has been very interested in the stars for some time now and has been asking for a telescope so I bought a celestron 130EQ for him. Upon opening the box its quite clear that I havent a clue what to do with it, as so many people probably are, so I think its a great opportunity to join a club and hopefully learn. As its half term, i’m hoping we can come along to the weekly meeting on Wednesday.

I realise the teelscope ive bought is very much entry level, but as im sure you agree, if his interest is kept and as we learn more, the oportunity for future birthday/xmas presents is always there to upgrade. Surprisingly he asked for a telescope without all the computer and motor bits as he wanted to do things manually first, I hope thats the best the forward.

I hope we see you there.

Andy

Mark Galvin
    Administrator
    0p

Hi Andy, welcome to the LAS website :-)

Yes, please do both come along on Wednesday, and bring the scope with you.

I think you’ve gone the best route possible with not getting a super expensive telescope as your son’s first, and your son has made a wise decision too with not wanting an automated (commonly known as a “Go To”) scope to learn with. Doing it all manually helps a lot when starting out. It’s wonderful to be able to stick the name of a planet into a keypad and have the scope point itself, but it’s no substitute for learning to navigate the sky, recognising constellations and so on. To add to that, telescopes with those systems need some careful setting up to ensure that they work properly, and without the “manual” knowledge behind it, can be more frustrating in the long run.

You might like to show your son the free Stellarium software too – http://www.stellarium.org/en_GB/
    This is essentially a planetarium on your computer. You set up your location, and it will show you what’s visible right now.

There’s not a lot to see in the way of planets in the early night sky over the next few months, but the moon is a great target and a lot easier for starting off with, and of course there are myriad stars of various kinds, plus things like the Pleiades cluster and the Orion Nebula. A 5″ aperture like that on the 130EQ is a good balance for planetary and some of the brighter nebulae, galaxies and star clusters.

Hope you both have many years of enjoyment from the hobby!

Regards,
    Mark

Arthur Dent: "But what is it? What’s worth a statue fifteen miles high? "
    Bird: "It was of great symbolic importance to our ancestors, it’s called ’Arthur Dent Throwing the Nutrimatic Cup’. "
    Arthur: "Sorry, what did you say?"

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Viewed 600 times
This entry was posted on by .