Looking for a new scope

The Liverpool Astronomical Society Forums Help and Advice Looking for a new scope

This topic contains 13 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Ben Dobson 5 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Andrew Foster
    0p

Hi everyone.

Just joined the forum and this is my first post. Looking at getting a new scope and have narrowed it down to the Celestron Nexstar 127 SLT. Can anyone offer any advice or an alternative for the same price (£350-£400). Only live a couple of miles away from Pex Hill so should be turning up soon.

Thanks in advance

Andy

Brendan Martin
    Administrator
    1p

Hi Andrew, the scope your look ing at is a very good scope, it depends on what you wish to observe, if you wish to take images and how you will be using the scope, all these things need to be taken into account, pop up to Pex Hill and we can have a chat and hopefully show you a few different scopes (depending on the weather).
    cheers
    Brendan

Andrew Foster
    0p

Thanks for the reply Brendan. On call all this week so will pop along a week Wednesday. Do you still meet up regardless of weather? The first thing that drew me to this kind of scope was the physical size as I may look at setting it up in the loft, was also looking at the Skywatcher equivalent. Also portability. Will have a good chat when I get to Pex Hill, will try and get my dad along as he has recently got a Skywatcher 130p.

Cheers Andy

Les Whatling
    0p

Dear Andrew
    I was in Costco yesterday 1st December and they are selling a 102mm Celestron Refractor scope on a go-to mount for £165 including VAT.

Andrew Foster
    0p

Hi Brendan

Good to meet you tonight. Thanks for all the advice and time you gave me. Will let you know which scope I go for, looking more like the Skywatcher, and will be along again when I can. Thanks also to John, I hope that’s right, for the filter advice.

Thanks again

Andy

Andrew Foster
    0p

Well I have got it. Just back from purchasing my new scope, a Skywatcher Skymax 127 on a go to mount. Also got some planetary filters. As is the way with things it is chucking it down at the moment so will have to wait a bit for the fun to begin. Will keep you all updated on how I get on.

Andy

Andrew Foster
    0p

Just had my scope out for the first time. Had a tantalising glimpse of the moon that lasted for just a few seconds then the clouds rolled in. Will try and get along to Pex Hill soon and may bring it with me.

Andy

Andrew Foster
    0p

Just had some great views of the moon even managed to have a nice shot of Jupiter.

Andy

David Galvin
    Administrator
    2p

Nice one Andy, clear sky is long over due. :-)

Andrew Foster
    0p

Hi David

Was good to finally get out at last. Just needed a bit more time to get the GoTo mount allinged properly before the clouds rolled in. Not much to see tonight though.

Cheers Andy

Tony Fort
    0p

Hi I am coming along this Wednesday with my friend Ben. Haven’t got a telescope yet, just binoculars but I have been offered an ex-display Skywatcher Portable Matsukov 90mm with EQ1 mount for £170 which apparently retail(ed) at £299? Is this a good telescope for the price? Thanks Tony

Brendan Martin
    Administrator
    1p

Hi Tony, skywatcher Mak’s are quite good scopes, long focal lengths which are better for planetry viewing but still ok for deep sky (smaller field of view). You may find the mount will not be to steady but that is where the compromise is (better there than the optics) and things can be done to steady them more. See you on Wednesday.
    Brendan

Tony Fort
    0p

Thanks Brendan look forward to meeting you Wednesday! Tony

Ben Dobson
    0p

Will see ya’s there Wednesday.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.