The best viewing locations

The Liverpool Astronomical Society Forums Help and Advice The best viewing locations

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Astronut 3 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

LEIGH
    0p

Hi everyone.

First post. Been browsing for a while. Just bought my first telescope – skywatcher 200p 8″ dobsonian.

My garden is pretty dark but ill be looking to venture out soon. Can anyone advise me where the best viewing locations around merseyside are. I live in litherland, sefton.

Kind regards

Leigh

Brendan Martin
    Administrator
    1p

Hi Leigh, there are no real good sights around merseyside due to light pollution, we tend to go to North Wales weather permitting, the best I can suggest is to drive around, maybe into Lancashire and see if you can find anywhere suitable,
    have a look at this website http://www.britastro.org/dark-skies/bestukastrolocation.html
    cheers
    Brendan

• This reply was modified 3 years, 8 months ago by  Mark Galvin. Reason: Fixed link

Astronut
    0p

I think this link has expired. I clicked on it and it said it can’t be found on this server…..?

Colin Murray
    3p

You could always try Formby Point, it’s NOT a dark sky and you won’t see the milky-way but it’s somewhere to go. You’ll have to share the car park with other people doing whatever they’re doing and you’ll have to put up with car headlamps at times but there’s nowhere else to go in and around the Merseyside area. I went there with my telescope once and no one bothered me, just don’t go there too early. The only other option is to go into North Wales.

Mark Galvin
    Administrator
    0p

Hi Astronut – the link got a little mangled when we updated the website back in December. I’ve fixed it now and it points to the correct page again :-)

Arthur Dent: "But what is it? What’s worth a statue fifteen miles high? "
    Bird: "It was of great symbolic importance to our ancestors, it’s called ’Arthur Dent Throwing the Nutrimatic Cup’. "
    Arthur: "Sorry, what did you say?"

Astronut
    0p

Hi Mark, cheers, will have a little nosy.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Viewed 849 times
This entry was posted on by .