Advice on Buying First Telescope Please

The Liverpool Astronomical Society Forums Help and Advice Advice on Buying First Telescope Please

This topic contains 16 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Mike 3 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author

MichaelDeighton
    0p

Hello. I am a complete Novice and wish to learn more about Astronomy. After watching the recent series of Stargazing Programmes on BBC last week, I am now wish to buy my first Telescope. I am sure you’ve been asked this question before but which one should I buy ?

Having done some research, I wish to opt for a Reflector Telescope and I am looking to spend around £300.00. I initially found information about the Celestron 31051 Astromaster 130EQ-MD Motor Drive Reflector Telescope which costs around £150.00 then noticed something like the Skymax-102 SynScan AZ GOTO for around £300.00 which is being advertised at Opticstar, Manchester.

I would be really grateful for some recommendations to narrow the field as it does seem a bit of a minefield.

Many thanks

Brendan Martin
    Administrator
    1p

Hi Michael, they are two very different telescopes you have chosen, it all depends on what you want to see and how and where you will be using your telescope, I would advise coming up to our observatory one Wednesday evening to have a chat and if the weather is clear having a look through different telescopes, buying your first telescope is a minefield so best take your time so as you get something you find easy to use and suits your needs, we are open to the public every Wednesday from 7pm.
    Regards
    Brendan

MichaelDeighton
    0p

Many Thanks Brendan. I’d love to take you up on the offer of a visit and hopefully, Weather permitting will try and arrange to come along next Wednesday.

Toffeeman100
    0p

Hi

I am planning on buying a new telescope and need some advice. I have owned a Meade LX70 telescope and found it very disappointing. Would it be possible for me to come to one of your meetings and have a look through a few telescopes to see which model would best suit my needs. I am looking to spend upto a maximum of £300. Any advice anybody could give me would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Steve

Tartan
    0p

Hey,

I too would like to come along one clear evening.

I need some advice to buying a first telescope. I have in mind a Catadioptric? one. Primarily I want to view planets in detail/colour and perhaps if possible near galaxies.
    I assume that type of telescope is best suited for that?

Looking at a couple of links:- http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-sky-watcher-skymax-127-az-synscan-go-to-maksutoc-cassegrain-telescope/p1524306 – seems to be popular?
    I’m looking to spend between £300 – £500.

What would you guys recommend?

Cheers

Nick

David Galvin
    Administrator
    2p

Hi Steve and Nick,
    You are both very welcome to come to the observatory any Wednesday eveing, 7:00 p.m to 9:00 p.m and have a chat and see what others have.
    If it is clear then there will be telescopes for you to have a look through and if it is cloudy then we can have a chat about your options.
    Please do not spend any of your hard earned cash before talking to us as we should be able to tell you what to avoid etc.
    Details for the observatory are :
    http://liverpoolas.org/2012/03/10/weekly-meetings/

Ask for Brendan (Observatory Director) or myself Dave Galvin.
    Look forward to meeting up with you both,
    Regards from Dave Galvin.

Toffeeman100
    0p

Thanks for the advice and the tour that I received on Wednesday evening. I would love to come back and will certainly consider joining. Thanks again.

Steve

Tartan
    0p

Hello,

Will drop by tomorrow evening (Wed 19th) if that’s ok? will prob join too at same time. :)

Nick

Brendan Martin
    Administrator
    1p

See you tomorrow Nick
    Brendan

Mike
    0p

Hi,

I’m totally new to Astronomy, and I’ve been using Binoculars for the past 9 months. I’m looking now to buy a telescope and have got a Celestron SkyProdigy 102, but cannot tell if it is good or not, or should I return it – I got a good discount price on it compared to what the general cost seems to be. I’ve never looked through a telescope before so I dont know what I should expect to see with this model. The manual talks about seeing deep space Galaxies, but I couldn’t see any; nor could I see Saturn’s rings.

Can anyone advise if this is a good telescope or not please?

Regards, Mike.

Brendan Martin
    Administrator
    1p

Hi Mike, you should be able to see deep sky objects with this telescope, the one drawback is that it is a short focal length refractor which gives a wide field of view so targets will only be small, this is not the best time of year for deep sky as generally it does not get dark enough, I would suggest visiting us at the observatory one Wednesday evening (bring your scope along) and we can help you get the best out of your new purchase.
    Cheers Brendan

David Galvin
    Administrator
    2p

Hi Mike, are you 100% sure that you have Saturn? You may have to use a medium power to show the rings but what ever you should be able to see that it is not a star (pin point of light). Use a low power eyepiece (20mm) to find the object and then try a higher power eyepiece such as 10mm to show the rings. If you can get to our observatory we can help you a little better.
    If you can see the moon this evening then Saturn will be close by to the upper left. Image to show this will follow shortly.
    Regards from Dave Galvin.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 10 months ago by  David Galvin.

Mark Galvin
    Administrator
    0p

Hi, the Saturn/Moon image Dave mentioned is now attached to this post

Attachments:

Arthur Dent: "But what is it? What’s worth a statue fifteen miles high? "
    Bird: "It was of great symbolic importance to our ancestors, it’s called ’Arthur Dent Throwing the Nutrimatic Cup’. "
    Arthur: "Sorry, what did you say?"

Mike
    0p

Hi Brendan / David / Mark,

I really appreciate just how helpful you are, the advice on the telescope makes it so much easier.

Just off out now to see what I can – although it does look a bit too bright.

I hope to make the Observatory tomorrow if that’s ok.

Regards,

Mike.

Mike
    0p

Hi Chaps, I forgot to ask what time suits?
    Regards, Mike

Brendan Martin
    Administrator
    1p

Hi Mike, any time from 7pm.
    Cheers
    Brendan

Mike
    0p

Hi Brendan / Dave,
    Many thanks for all the Help and Advice and all the time you gave me on Wed. It made it not only a really enjoyable night with lots of information, but also helped me decide on the telescope.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.