Anyone help?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Marcus Chislett 5 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Marcus Chislett
    0p

I’ve just used my first telescope for the first time this evening at around 6 to half past -its a beginners refracting telescope, 700mm f.l. -anyhow, I was hoping to get a nice moon view, but trees obscured my vision, so assumed that the bright point above and to the left is Venus(?)  and the next brightest object above and to to the left was Jupiter(?) -I’m sorry if this reads as really amateur! -When I looked at this second brightest object, which I surmised to be Jupiter, I thought I could see a moon in orbit -is this possible? Or would my telescope be unable to pick up this detail?
    I’m totally new with this so please excuse my ignorance!
    Thanks,
    Chiz

Brendan Martin
    Administrator
    1p

Hi Chiz, you are not wrong, you can easily see the 4 Galilean Moons around Jupiter.
    Don’t apologise for not knowing. everyone has to start somewhere, ask away thats what we are here for.
    cheers
    Brendan

Marcus Chislett
    0p

Thanks for the swift response Brendan.
    I was totally blown away by the thought of being able to see a moon orbiting another planet from my own back yard! I’ve definately got the bug so I’ll no doubt be on again.
    Thanks once more.
    Chiz

Andrew Foster
    0p

Hi Chiz

Get yourself along to Pex Hill one Wednesday, if we ever get another clear night, and have a look through some of the scopes there. Everyone only to happy to help and point there scope at whatever you want.

Andy

Marcus Chislett
    0p

Hi Andy
    I will, thanks -I’m dependent on buses so I’ll have to plot my route.
    I’m hoping to get over to the Wirral in March for your Thurstaston outing also.
    Thanks for your help and invitations, I’ll see you both sometime soon

chiz

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.