Fireball?

This topic contains 15 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Phil Williams 2 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    +1

Phil Williams
    1p

Hi all. Having attended the Society Meeting and travelled back to Wigan I saw what I can only describe as a large blue and orange fireball travelling approx east to west with flames breaking off it!!
    It was observed at approximately 10.55pm. It was travelling at what appeared to be the speed of an aircraft at an elevation of about 20 degrees. I immediately checked the NEWS and caught the first reports of similar observations across the country reported as a meteor shower. I have seen many meteors before but nothing likt this!  Anyone else observe the same? Most dramatic thing I have ever seen in the night sky!!

+1

Brendan Martin
    Administrator
    1p

Hi Phil, it seems you were not alone in observing the fireball check this site out http://www.universetoday.com/97507/fireball-meteor-or-re-entering-satellite-something-broke-up-over-the-uk-on-friday/#more-97507
    there were multiple sightings.
    cheers
    Brendan

Phil Williams
    1p

Thanks Brendan
    The video of the  Warrington event is exactlly what I observed from Wigan and you have probably seen lots of similar footage on the News. I was so stunned at what I was observing that I didnt think to get my mobile phone out to try and record it which is very embarassing having listened to Ken’ s talk!!  I’ll be hanging my head in shame next time I see him!

Cheers Phil

Chris Wylie
    0p

Yes saw it from Upton Wirral at 22-50 traveling E to W estimated at 60 degrees above northern horizon. Initial sighting 20 degrees above E horizon towards Helsby final out towards Liverpool Bay. Up to vertical it had a bright green head after passing that the green dissapeared.
    It did look like an airliner wing tip green lamp with a row of glowing windows close behind. (I did look for a tail fin light!).
    After vertical it became a trail of falling sparks.
    No I did not have a camera to hand! Good meeting last night. Chris

Brendan Campbell
    0p

I also saw it on my way home from the meeting, it was quite incredible! I was half expecting news of first contact when I got home and turned the tv on.

David Galvin
    Administrator
    2p

So who’s idea was it to go for a pint after the meeting.
    My nephew, over in Lytham St Annes, says his friends spotted it too.

Phil Williams
    1p

Further to the e bulletin issued by John Mason BAA Meteor Section and circulated by Gerard I would add the following supplementary comments to my initial observations.

I was facing roughly North when I observed the Fireball as it travelled from East to West. This would tie in with the path as observed by Paul Buglass of York Astronomical Society. I would also describe the trajectory as being quite flat with a similar observation period of about 60 seconds before I lost sight of it as my view was obscured by houses.

Phil

Anonymous
    0p
    "brendan martin":2bhwyeye wrote:
    Hi Phil, it seems you were not alone in observing the fireball check this site out http://www.universetoday.com/97507/fire … more-97507
    there were multiple sightings.
    cheers
    Brendan
    [/quote:2bhwyeye]Good Link

Phil Williams
    1p

Further to the various comments made relating to the Fireball observed by myself  and a number of other LAS members on 21 September I came across the following blog providing an interesting analysis by Marco Langbroek. He concludes that it was a genuine meteoric Fireball rather than a satellite debris reentry. His conclusions are based on reported observations of the Fireball detailing elevations with respect to background stars, estimated velocity and visual appearance. His arguments seem valid to me but anyone else got any thoughts?

http://sattrackcam.blogspot.nl/2012/09/more-on-21-september-2012-fireball-why.html

Brendan Martin
    Administrator
    1p

Hi Phil, let me know if you can see your initial post now, I had no trouble finding it.
    Cheers
    Brendab

Phil Williams
    1p

Hi Brendan,

I still have a problem. I click through the fields until I reach “General Science and Astronomy Discussion” which displays a summary table stating 10 posts for the topic Fireball? but then when I click on Fireball? it says there are 9 posts and lists the 9 starting with your reply to my initial post (#3529) but no sign of the initial post.

Do you think it might be a computer glich?

Cheers

Phil

Mark Galvin
    Administrator
    0p

Hi Phil, Mark (web admin) here.

It does look like a glitch – when I log in as an admin, your first post is visible to me. It looks like it’s somehow not showing up for everyone else though. Leave it with me and I’ll see if I can restore it to its rightful place!

There’s no obvious reason why it isn’t showing up, so it might require a bit of digging on my part.

For reference here’s what is says:

Friday, 21st September 2012 at 23:50 UTC #

Hi all. Having attended the Society Meeting and travelled back to Wigan I saw what I can only describe as a large blue and orange fireball travelling approx east to west with flames breaking off it!!
    It was observed at approximately 10.55pm. It was travelling at what appeared to be the speed of an aircraft at an elevation of about 20 degrees. I immediately checked the NEWS and caught the first reports of similar observations across the country reported as a meteor shower. I have seen many meteors before but nothing likt this! Anyone else observe the same? Most dramatic thing I have ever seen in the night sky!!

Arthur Dent: "But what is it? What’s worth a statue fifteen miles high? "
    Bird: "It was of great symbolic importance to our ancestors, it’s called ’Arthur Dent Throwing the Nutrimatic Cup’. "
    Arthur: "Sorry, what did you say?"

Mark Galvin
    Administrator
    0p

Me again!

I’ve identified the problem – it was a software conflict, confusing the website into not allowing the first post (of many forum topics!) to be shown.

Many thanks for notifying us Phil, it was the kind of thing that’s not always noticed quickly and I appreciate you bringing it to our attention.

Kind regards,
    Mark

Bird: "It was of great symbolic importance to our ancestors, it’s called ’Arthur Dent Throwing the Nutrimatic Cup’. "

Phil Williams
    1p

Thanks for your help Mark (and Brendan). I am preparing an article for possible use in the LAS Newsletter about the Fireball based on my observation and the report published in the Journal of the British Astronomical Association later that year. Just wanted to check my initial comments at the time.

Cheers

Phil

Mark Galvin
    Administrator
    0p

No problem :-)

If the time of your post is important, be aware that it was likely at 23:50 BST not UTC – our site software switches over when the clocks change, but gets confused (so a past post made at 22:00 BST will say 22:00 BST during the summer, and 22:00 UTC during the winter). It’s something we’re working on.

Will look forward to your article. You’re more than welcome to submit it for the website too if you want to?

Mark

Phil Williams
    1p

Thanks Mark

I would be happy for the finished article to be considered for the website. I recently submitted a completed article on the subject of the Appley Bridge meteorite for possible inclusion in the newsletter if this would be of interest for the website.

Phil

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.