Help Please

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Mark Galvin 4 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

David Osborne
    0p

Hi all , had my interest in astronomy kick started, with Stargazing Live on the BBC, I had a Tasco telescope as a kid but never fully embraced the hobby, now I’m all grown up and sensible (NOT) I’m gonna buy a telescope, I’m on a tight budget but have seen a couple I think will suit a novice, just after some advice as to which is best suited

Celestron Astromaster 130EQ

Saxon 767AZ Astronomy Sky and Land Telescope with Barlow Lens

any input would be very much appreciated
    Thanx
    David

Mark Galvin
    Administrator
    0p

Hi David,
    Which telescope to start with depends a bit on what sort of objects you want to look at . A relatively low power refractor (all lenses and no mirrors) can give lovely views of the planets and the moon, but then again so can a reflector (has a mirror to focus the light) – are you able to get to Pex Hill? We’re here tonight and every Wednesday, even when it’s cloudy.

Info on Pex Hill Leighton Observatory: http://liverpoolas.org/2012/03/10/weekly-meetings/

Arthur Dent: "But what is it? What’s worth a statue fifteen miles high? "
    Bird: "It was of great symbolic importance to our ancestors, it’s called ’Arthur Dent Throwing the Nutrimatic Cup’. "
    Arthur: "Sorry, what did you say?"

David Osborne
    0p

Hi Mark thanx for the invite, I will definetley be coming up to Pex Hill, sadly cannot make tonight, the 2 scopes I have looked @ both reflectors, thr celestron has a bigger apperture, ideally i want to get to view deep space objects eventually so would be prepared to get the more expensive of my 2 options, from what limited knowledge I have, it seems the bigger the apperture the better, many of the sights I have visited seem to rate celestron, do you have an opinion?

Mark Galvin
    Administrator
    0p

Hi David,
    Not to worry, we’re here every Wednesday :-)
    I’m not up at Pex Hill myself tonight, although others are. As you’re more interested in deep space, and have discovered for yourself the differences between reflectors and reftactors, reflectors are more suited for Deep Sky observations than refractors. Bigger aperture means the scope is able to collect more light so you get a brighter image. A lot of course comes down to the eye-pieces.
    In any case don’t spend any money until you’ve had a chance to look through a couple of different set-ups

Bird: "It was of great symbolic importance to our ancestors, it’s called ’Arthur Dent Throwing the Nutrimatic Cup’. "

David Osborne
    0p

cheers mark, I am gonna try to get up next week, look forward to meeting you and all the rest of the members

Mark Galvin
    Administrator
    0p

And you :-) Hopefully we might get some clear skies :-)
    When starting out with a scope hands-on is always miles better than trying to piece together information from websites. You can get a proper feel for it and see if it’s comfortable. etc.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.