How do I connect my smart phone to my scope?

The Liverpool Astronomical Society Forums Help and Advice How do I connect my smart phone to my scope?

This topic contains 14 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Gary85 3 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

Astronut
    0p

I have just purchased a new smart phone and would like to take some pics of the night sky but don’t know how to connect the phone to the scope. I’ve tried taking the pics freehand but to no avail. Any advice would be appreciated.

+1

David Galvin
    Administrator
    2p

I am just waiting for Brendan to ‘pop’ in and hopefuly he we tell you where we bought the the LAS’s iPhone adaptor. It is pretty goood and allows you to line up your phone with the telescope eyepiece. Allows reasonable images of the Moon, Jupiter/moons and Saturn.

Astronut
    0p

Cheers. Does your smart phone adapter accommodate other types of smart phone or iphones only? Cheers.

David Galvin
    Administrator
    2p

It is a universal adaptor for all mobile camera phones. I am at the monthly meeting tommorow evening and will find out more details.

Astronut
    0p

Thanks Dave, I’ll be at the monthly meeting too. Hopefully we can have a chat at “half time”. Cheers.

+1

David Galvin
    Administrator
    2p

Hi Dave, I made some enquiries regarding the ‘phone adaptor and have been informed that we purchased two parts.
    One phone holder http://www.telescopehouse.com/acatalog/info-BC190.html
    and one eyepiece adaptor http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B008JCBJH4/ref=pe_385721_37038051_pe_217191_31005151_3p_M3T1_dp_1

I suggest that you come up to the observatory and try out the bits and pieces before buying.

Astronut
    0p

Thanks David. Following your advice and attending the observatory sounds like the way to go.
    Cheers.

Astronut
    0p

Hi, I’m coming along to the observatory tomorrow night. Hopefully I can get a look at your universal smart phone adapter?

David Galvin
    Administrator
    2p

That’s brill Dave, easier tp explain when you can actually see the gadget. If it’s clear then we may be able to try it out too.
    Are you okay getting to the obs?

David Galvin
    Administrator
    2p

That’s brill Dave, easier tp explain when you can actually see the gadget. If it’s clear then we may be able to try it out too.
    Are you okay getting to the obs?

Astronut
    0p

I’m okay getting there thanks Dave. Hopefully those pesky clouds will be kind.

Gary85
    2p

Hi can using these adapters you mention with a camera phone produce pic/vid of planets? My scope is a 120mm refractor.
    I have taken a few moon pics with my phone but no luck with Saturn. I have been thinking about getting a planetary imager (neximage5) and originally came here to ask if anybody knows if I can live stream with this camera like a normal webcam , on ustream for instance or will it only stream to my comuter with the software?
    The supplier is out of hours right now and I was thinking of putting order in before the morning. I’m intrigued by this set up now though although it looks a bit bulky with the two adapters.
    Here is a photo of the moon at 200x just holding phone to scope ( I did take around 10-15 images but only a few where good enough)

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2ikxds1&s=8#.U0LZ-yxOXmR

Gary85
    2p

Also how heavy are the adapters and phone holders? The link for the adapter is out of stock but there is an option for a similar one which is made of metal but it doesn’t specify the weight. Wondering whether to try this or just go straight for neximage5.

Astronut
    0p

Hi Gary.
    Here’s an image I took of the moon last month using my smartphone, smartphone adaptor, 5 inch Mak, a 2X Barlow and 25mm eyepiece. The adaptor and phone combo is not very heavy at all.

+1

Gary85
    2p

Hi
    thanks for your reply. I couldn’t really tell from the picture, it looked quite bulky.
    I’m still undecided on what kind of camera to get, maybe I should wait until I speak to people at a society, I still haven’t been to this one but should be going to RAWAS meet on Friday.
    I didn’t realise you could add photo’s like that, great pic cheers.

Attachments:
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Viewed 1,283 times
This entry was posted on by .