More telescope advice please

The Liverpool Astronomical Society Forums Help and Advice More telescope advice please

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  jackcoutts 4 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

jackcoutts
    0p

A few years ago I was given a Celestron 114 Newtonian reflecting telescope with equitorial mount as a present. I’m aware that this is very much entry level. I managed to put it together and have seen some excellent moon images but otherwise I’m struggling.
    The scope came with a basic finderscope (which I’ve never been able to use successfully), 20 mm and 4mm eyepieces and a 3x Barlow lens, only the first of which I’ve been able to use. I also struggle with aligning the telescope with targets and using the adjusters. Ideally I’d like to be able to see a little bit of detail on Mars and Jupiter and be able to distinguish Saturn’s rings, maybe see the odd distant moon or two, and something more than a smudge of light from nebula and galaxies.
    I can believe I may need to invest in a better telescope but I wonder whether first I’d benefit from some advice on how to use the one I’ve got, or whether it is too limited to be worth bothering with.
    What do you think ?

Brendan Martin
    Administrator
    1p

Hi Jackcouts, why not come and pay us visit at our observatory at Pex Hill one Wednesday evening we would be only to glad to help you get the best out of your scope.
    Cheers
    Brendan

jackcoutts
    0p

Thanks Brendan. I’d be happy to come to Pex Hill some time. Do you mean to bring my telescope ? I presume your suggestion means that you think it’s worthwhile persisting with what I have rather than looking to upgrade ?
    I came to Court Hey Park last Friday hoping to ask for advice but there were too many people and I didn’t want to compete for attention with all of those enthusiastic kids.

Jack

Brendan Martin
    Administrator
    1p

Hi Jack, yes bring your scope along and we will say if its worth persisting with (chances are it will be)
    Cheers
    Brendan

jackcoutts
    0p

Thanks Brendan. See you soon.
    Jack

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Viewed 626 times
This entry was posted on by .