Questions about Wednesday's meeting

This topic contains 10 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Whatsthematter 3 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

ianpwilliams
    0p

Hi everyone

I am a complete newbie to astronomy, so much so that I haven’t even bought any equipment yet, but I am planning on buying a telescope and mount. I’ve done a huge amount of research, and I’m really taking my time over it, and I’ve decided that it’s between two particular mounts (the Skywatcher EQ5 and HEQ5), and between two (or technically four) different scopes (the Skywatcher 150P, 150PDS, 200P, 200PDS). There are of course several factors that come into it, including price, weight, location, what I plan to do with it, how I plan to upgrade in the future, and so on.

So I was hoping to come along to this Wednesday’s meeting to see if I could talk to a few people about it, and maybe get some views and opinions. And if it was possible, I did wonder if any members would be likely to have any scopes set up, not necessarily any of the ones above, but maybe similar apertures, just so I could get an idea of what can be seen (although can you see much at 7pm-9pm at this time of year?).

Also, as I sadly have no car (I will be a back yard stargazer), my only option for getting there would be public transport. I’m in Edge Hill, so my only train option would be Edge Hill to Widnes, and then a taxi to the observatory, which is quite a long journey, and quiet expensive (but worth it I think). But I wondered if anyone knows of any buses from Liverpool which stop any nearer to the obervatory than Widnes train station?

Colin Murray
    3p

The 7a runs in the evening (6 runs during the day) and runs along the bottom of Pex Hill, there’s a bus stop just outside the entrance and it runs every hour, it runs along Edge Lane as well. But the train would be a better option, it’s only a 3-mile walk from Widnes to Pex Hill, it should take about half an hour, any fit person can walk it.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by  Colin Murray.

ianpwilliams
    0p

Thanks, I’ll look into that.

ianpwilliams
    0p

Is anyone likely to be there tonight, with the weather forecast being cloudy?

ianpwilliams
    0p

Never mind, I’ll be heading over next week (regardless of the weather).

David Galvin
    Administrator
    2p

Ian, the Observatory is always open each Wednesday from 19:00 to 21:00 regardless of the weather conditions.

Whatsthematter
    0p

Hi.
    I tried to get to the observatory last Wednesday and couldn’t find it. This was with the aid of a sat nav (what chance of finding the Andromeda galaxy). I wanted to follow up on my request to join the association. I filled in an on line form but have heard nothing after more than a week. I would be approaching the obseratory from Knowsley on the A5082. Can anyone assist?
    Dave

David Galvin
    Administrator
    2p

Hi Dave, sorry that you did not find us, we were there honestly. :-)
    If you are coming in from Knowsley (Tarbock Road roundaabout) then continue along through Cronton pass the Unicorn Pub / chippy, straight on towards the mini roundabout and pass the garden centre on your left. A little further on you will pass a single house (left hand side) and then a left turn dircetly opposite the 6th form collage. Look for the wrought iron fencing and head straight up the hill until you find the large ooden building with the shiny aluminium dome on its roof. That’s us.

Sat nav post code= WA8 5QW
    Map and details : http://liverpoolas.org/2012/05/28/about-the-leighton-observatory/
    Regards from Dave Galvin.

Whatsthematter
    0p

Hi Dave.
    I will look out for the landmarks and should make it this time. Will there be any one there who can help me with joining the association? Is there someone who I should ask for by name?
    Hope to see you Wednesday.
    Dave

Brendan Martin
    Administrator
    1p

Hi Dave, ask for me, Brendan, I will show you around.
    See you Wednesday
    Brendan

Whatsthematter
    0p

Thanks Brendan. I’ll see you there.
    Dave

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Viewed 1,414 times
This entry was posted on by .