Sir Patrick Moore

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Mark Galvin 4 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Brendan Martin
    Administrator
    1p

A sad day for astronomy Sir Patrick will always be remembered with fondness and respect.

DLH
    0p

Just heard of the sad news  about  Sir Patrick Moore. He inspired  me , and many generations of people to  never stop looking up at the night sky. R.I.P  Sir Patrick, and I hope where ever you are that you are surrounded by your Family, friends, and  Lorna.

David Galvin
    Administrator
    2p

A sad day indeed. I am one of the many people who Patrick taught to look up at the skies.
    For our ‘younger’ members he was described today as the Brian Cox of black and white television.
    RIP Sir Patrick, you will be sadly missed but never forgotten.

john Crockatt
    0p

Test

john Crockatt
    0p

David,

I wonder who made the extraordinary statement that Sir Patrick was the Brian Cox of black and white TV. This implies that Sir Patrick introduced astronomy on black and white, but Cox did the same on colour TV. As one who was born three years before Sir Patrick, may I enter a protest on his behalf. Let’s look at the facts. Sir Patrick introduced Sky at Night in black and white 55 years ago. In 1967 colour TV transmissions started in this country so from that year Sir Patrick did Sky at Night in colour.

Brian Cox was born in 1968, so Sir Patrick was presenting Sky at Night in colour before Prof Cox was born. How long has Cox been on TV? 5 years?

We need to wait another 40 years before we can try to compare the contributions made by these two men. As Sir Patrick sometimes said ” I won’t be here to see it” , but I hope some of our younger members will still be around in 2052, and they will be able to judge which of the two was the greater man. I know who I would bet on.

David Galvin
    Administrator
    2p

Hi John,
    It was a quote from a chap named Tony Parsons that appeared in several sources folowing the sad news of Sir Patrick. http://www.twee.co/twits/tonyparsonsuk

I do not know Mr Parsons but thought, without analysing it to deeply, that it was a good point. I would think, in my opinion, that the majority of younger astronomers (18 years and below) would answer ‘Brian Cox’ to the the question – Name an astronomer who is on the television?
    I would, naturally, say Patrick Moore as he has been there all the way since my black and white and colour days and if you wish to protest then I will carry the banner for you. :-)
    Now whether Mr Cox will still be on television in 40 years, I just don’t know!

Mark Galvin
    Administrator
    0p

Don’t forget of course that many viewers now in their early and mid-20s will first have seen him as The Gamesmaster on Channel 4. I know at least some of them got their introduction to astronomy via that.
    I suppose though, that while Brian Cox has never played a cyborg/sentient computer, he was in the band D:Ream which was very popular in the 90s

Arthur Dent: "But what is it? What’s worth a statue fifteen miles high? "
    Bird: "It was of great symbolic importance to our ancestors, it’s called ’Arthur Dent Throwing the Nutrimatic Cup’. "
    Arthur: "Sorry, what did you say?"

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.