Stellarium innaccuracy

The Liverpool Astronomical Society Forums Help and Advice Stellarium innaccuracy

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Mark Galvin 4 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Mark Galvin
    Administrator
    0p

Hi all,
    I’m having a problem with Stellarium regarding accuracy and wondered if anyone else had come across this.

Using the Observability Analysis plug-in which comes built-in, the rise/set times for objects are wrong, as is the time of the full moon.
    I’ve made sure that I have the correct latitude, longitude and even the elevation.
    e.g. For my location, Stellarium says today’s sunrise was at 08:10, and sunset at 16:38 – every other source I’ve checked says close to 08:04 and 16:45 respectively.
    The fact that the length of the day is shorter by about 12/13 minutes in Stellarium than it should be suggests that either the location it’s using is wrong, or something is up with the date.
    As I said, I’ve double checked my lat/long/alt, and the date is definitely correct and in the right format.

For the full moon last night, Stellarium says that 100% illumination occurred at 03:20, but according to other software, websites and mobile apps it was actually at about 04:39.

I’ve tried enabling the “Simulate Light Speed” option, just in case it had any bearing on things, but it didn’t make any difference :-/

Can anybody suggest anything else I can try before abandoning Stellarium?

Arthur Dent: "But what is it? What’s worth a statue fifteen miles high? "
    Bird: "It was of great symbolic importance to our ancestors, it’s called ’Arthur Dent Throwing the Nutrimatic Cup’. "
    Arthur: "Sorry, what did you say?"

Brian
    5p

Mark,

I use Stellarium in Florida (UT -5 hrs) without changing my laptop time zone and just changing the location – it really makes you think which way you have to manually adjust the time.
    Is it worth checking your computer time setting?

Brian

Mark Galvin
    Administrator
    0p

Hi Brian,
    Just double checked my computer’s timezone settings and it’s set to UTC, so looks like that’s not the prob :-/

Bird: "It was of great symbolic importance to our ancestors, it’s called ’Arthur Dent Throwing the Nutrimatic Cup’. "

Brian
    5p

Mark,

This comment on the Stellarium Forum may be the answer:-
    ‘ Stellarium’s prime purpose is to serve as an educational tool and an aid to amateur astronomers, not as an ultimate model of the Galaxy for the past and the future. ‘ http://sourceforge.net/p/stellarium/discussion/278769/thread/969176a0/

There is a bug report site if you are so inclined https://bugs.launchpad.net/stellarium

Brian

Mark Galvin
    Administrator
    0p

Thanks Brian,
    Had a good read of that thread. Seems a shame that accuracy isn’t high on their list of priorities. I can understand why they might not bother with star motions, but for the times of ‘local’ objects like the sunrise, moon phase, etc. to be wrong seems like either it’s badly written or something is wrong at my end.

Oh well, can you recommend any software (free if possible) which will give accurate info?

I’m using Virtual Moon Atlas for the moon info so that’s sorted, but not got anything for the sunrise/sunset, and would like something which can do an accurate star map too.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Viewed 915 times
This entry was posted on by .