If you can see this message then you are using a browser (probably Internet Explorer) which does not support the international web standards used by the LAS website and many others.
Click here for an example of how the site should look.
Please consider using an alternative browser - especially if you are on Windows XP which only supports the outdated Internet Explorer 8 browser - such as Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox which do have support for these web standards. As well as not supporting modern features and web standards, old versions of browsers - especially Internet Explorer - can expose your computer to security risks. The Browse Happy website has a list of the latest versions of all major browsers, including Internet Explorer (but remember Windows XP only supports up to IE8!)
If updating/changing your browser is not possible, do not panic - all of the LAS website is still available to you and we are working to make the layout compatible with outdated browsers.
In the meantime, you will have to scroll down a way to see the page you wish to view. You can also skip past the moon phase info, etc. and click here after you've loaded a page to jump to the content.
Why can’t I comment on articles or post to the forum?
- You must register your account – this is free and only takes a few minutes.
If you have already registered:
- if this is the first time you have commented on an article, your comment will be held in a queue for verification – this is to help prevent spam and is nothing personal.
- If this is NOT the first time you have commented on an article or made a forum post and it still isn’t showing up, there may be a problem with your account. In this case, please contact our website team.
Why do I need to register an account to comment and post on the forum?
- For many years we did not have this requirement, however due to increasing amounts of spam it became necessary.
What are the benefits of registering an account on the LAS website?
- At the present time, simply the commenting and posting privileges mentioned above, plus optional notifications when somebody replies to your comment/forum post.
If I register, does that make me a Member of the Liverpool Astronomical Society?
- No, website registration (which is free) is a separate process from Membership of the Society (which has an annual charge but includes many benefits). Please see our Membership page for details.
What are the benefits of joining the Liverpool Astronomical Society, how do I do so and how much does it cost?
I’m a Member of the LAS – does that mean I have an account on the website already?
- No, the processes are not connected on such a level at this point in time. You must register your account yourself for the time being.
I’m a Member of the LAS – does registering an account on the LAS website give me any additional features not present to registered non-Members of the LAS?
- Apart from the normal registered-user privileges of commenting and posting to the forums, no, not at the moment, but it is something we may consider in the future.
Does that mean at some point in the future, non-LAS-Members might be locked out of the LAS website unless they join the Society?
- Absolutely not.
Any Members-only features would be additional to what is currently available to everybody. For example, online versions of things already available to LAS Members, such as booking observatory time or reserving items from the LAS Library.
We strive to make astronomy accessible to the general public, and so we would not be removing any features from registered non-Members which they currently have (e.g. news articles, commenting/forum privileges, etc.) – it goes against our principals.