- This event has passed.
Young Astronomers’ Day 18, March 3rd, 2001
Saturday, 3rd March 2001 @ 14:00 - 19:00 GMT
To All Astronomers Aged 8 – 17 Years Old
Liverpool Young Astronomers Day March 3rd 2pm – 7pm at
Liverpool Astronomical Society Pex Hill Observatory, Cronton, Widnes
The theme for the day: “The Solar System”
- Are you under 18 and interested in Astronomy?
- Ever wondered what that bright thing is in the night sky?
- Ever wondered how to find Mars or any other planet in the sky?
- Ever wondered why the Moon appears to change shape?
- Have you ever looked through a telescope at the wonders of the sky
- Would you like to see spots on our Sun?
- Would you like to see the Universe from your Computer at home or School?
- Would you like to lean from the experts?
- Do you have permission (See “IMPORTANT NOTES” below)? Then why not come along to our Young Astronomers Day!
- Solar System presentation.
- Solar Observing using specialised filters & instruments.(Weather permitting).
- Activity Workbook based around the Moon.
- Younger Children Activity Work.
- Computer Astronomy Software and Internet Astronomy Sites.(Online)
- Lunar Observing with telescopes (early evening, weather permitting).
- Astronomy Quiz.
- The Night sky presentation.
- Plenty of time to ask questions and find out much more.
The group will attend some of the events all together and split into teams for others. Please e-mail Phil or steve (see below) for an invite or call in at the LAS Pex Hill Observatory any evening we’re there. Check out the Pex Hill Observatory web site for details. We will normally be there every weekday Wednesday and Friday evening. You can contact the Liverpool Astronomical Society via its web site for more information.
FOR PARENTS & GUARDIANS!
This event is BY INVITATION ONLY .Contact Phil or Steve (see below) for an invite or for further details.
A fee of £1 will be charged per young astronomer on the day. Liverpool Young Astronomers (LYA) members may attend free of charge, and there will be an opportunity to join the LYA club for just £4 (in which case the £1 will be refunded). LYA members receive a welcome pack and other free benefits throughout the year worth much more than their membership subscription.
Some of the activities will be outside (weather permitting). Warm clothing (including warm coats, hats and gloves are essential. The ground maybe a bit damp under foot, so suitable footwear should be worn.
Tea, coffee, cold drinks and biscuits will be provided, but it is recommended that each young astronomer has their own packed snack if they are staying for the whole event.
We would prefer all parents/guardians to stay for the whole event (especially those with younger astronomers), but special arrangements may be agreed in advance or on the day. All young astronomers MUST be collected on time. All Liverpool Astronomical Society members helping with this event will adhere to our Child Protection Policy, and will have signed a confidential personal declaration.
I hope you enjoy this fun event, let the Liverpool Astronomical Society help you explore the Universe, without your feet leaving the ground!
Best wishes for clear skies ahead.Gerard Gilligan
President – Liverpool AS
Coming to a Solar System Near You!
YAD Number 19 to be held later this year:-
NEXT MEETING DATE TO BE CONFIRMED
YAD 19 theme will be :To Be Confirmed.
For more details and application form contact:-
(Contact details removed as no longer valid)